Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Hey blog land.
Had a good weekend, but a tiring one. And now I'm pretty lethargic. I really can't wait for this New Orleans trip in a few weeks. My heart is obviously still there.

I have been riding the bus this week and have met some interesting people.....I really believe that riding the bus is liberating, to a degree. I do enjoy modes of travel being more social. I enjoy being put in situations in which i'm nearly forced to converse with people. Seriously. I like it because it's easy for me to become a hermit while in Austin....and the bus thing actually helps me continue a pattern of social interaction that keeps me wanting to go out and experience the town.


So I believe that I'll continue to ride the bus to work even when I have the van. The bus will be way cheaper, and saving gas seems like the affordable and right thing to do. Also, I'm doing my (very) little part to help the environment. I've also been listening to Soul Coughing's "Bus to Beelzebub" every day, and the line "get ooonnnttooo da bus....that's gonna take you back to beelzebub" enters my head every morning when I actually "get onto the bus".

Maybe I'm crazy, but I guess I'm listening to the soundtrack to my own life in my imagination. And music does stick to my head in such a way so that i can be imagining songs while i'm not actually listening to them.

By the way, i've recently noticed that the news is really depressing, but everyone already knows that.
After a soul-devouring 8-5 shift at office depot, it was even more draining to turn on NBC news and hear "Bird flu.....little progress after katrina......still no solace for the families of west virginia miners......immigrant protest did little...(yes that's editorializing, which is not good journalism..but NBC cares not..)...gas prices will continue to increase.....

Since TV is a very simple release after a long day at work, it is also very influential on the mind when the mind is not working at its best. So I will make a recommendation, not only to myself, but to everyone on earth. No TV after work.

Go for a walk. If it's raining, go for a walk and get wet. The rain isn't that bad. Really.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last thursday, I did play an incredibly fun, and somewhat drunken show. While the first 2 bands played, I drunkenly befriended random people who seemed interesting by offering them sunflower seeds. I had a few friends show as well, and we had a great time together.

Since Parks + Wildlife, Sally Krewe, and The Guise always play with us, I want to put out a 4-way free promotional EP, and have each band cross-promote. 2 songs for each band. Its gonna be like all the monkeygrinder cds that chris and I put out. I want the spirit of DIY music promotion to continue in austin.....even though the music scene is very strange here, and there is uber-competition, i think the idea could merit everyone some new fans.

I always have these kind of musically unifying ideas, and many people don't seem to care, so I lose faith. I'll try again, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh.....and is it a little strange that the document that I miss on my old computer the most is my "brandon's favorite 100 albums of all time list"?

you don't have to answer that. I just dread that I have to "make it up" again. However, just as a teaser, Bruce Springsteen made the list, and The Cure did not.

Lists are great.



that's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my heart is still in New Orleans, too.

I used to have to take the bus to work when I lived with my dad. Some of the most interesting people in the world ride the bus. After I got a car, I took the bus a couple of times just for fun. Too scared to do that in Houston, though.

Don't lose faith in your musically unifying ideas. You've really gotta stick with it if it's what you have a passion for.