Monday, May 8, 2006

The harsh realities of post-college life.

So I have to cancel a wonderful one-week trip to Wyoming for work. You see, I just acquired a full-time job as a deli worker at Whole Foods...a place that offers EVERYONE full-time hours with benefits! And the job offer was excellent but the timing was not, because it occured during 2 long-planned-out vacations.

What this does mean is that I can spend the full Tuesday the 16th through Saturday the 20th in NOLA (so for Megan and Kali, this means I can hang out saturday evening)..........because I only have to rearrange my Office Depot schedule....I now don't start at Whole Foods until May 24th.

I'm pretty excited about this job, because not really having money issues is very stress relieving, and quite a change. I also do get to see 2 great bands that are coming to Austin when my Wyoming trip would have occured. From June 9th to June 23rd, I will have seen Shellac, The Constantines, and Sonic Youth, which means I should have no complaints.

In ADDITION..( I'm still attempting to paint missing this trip in a positive light) even though we would be in Yellowstone, there would probably be very little camping and a lot more "dude ranch" style stuff going on. Personally, I'm not a big fan of horses or roping cattle........I'm just a big fan of camping and hiking in quiet places. But I do need to go to Yellowstone at some time in my life.

Either way, I'm missing out, but my family definitely understands, and they're very happy now that they don't have to cover my health care costs anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------
I quit drinking...at least for a good while. By many accounts, what I was doing was not all so terrible. I was, for at least a few weeks, drinking every night (usually in social settings), and enjoying the social benefits that accompanied the alcohol. However, waking up every morning lethargic and depressed is not a good way to live. When this began to happen, I decided to not drink. I should continue this, at least, until June. I do realize the majority of my NOLA friends will attempt to get me drunk next week, but I will graciously decline. Now, I might get them drunk, laugh, and point! But I will not do the same thing.

I just felt like I was truly going a little nuts, seeing the negative side of every possibility, which is completely not my nature at all. I like smiling, idealism, and life. I do not like headaches at 7 AM while on the bus for work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So wednesday night I'm playing a show at "The Chaindrive", a gay bar that has late night orgy parties. We're discussing costumes, and covering "Fashion" by David Bowie.

If you don't know the song "Fashion", it goes something like this.

There’s a brand new dance but I don’t know its name
That people from bad homes do again and again
It’s big and it’s bland full of tension and fear
They do it over there but we don’t do it here
Fashion!
turn to the left
Fashion!
turn to the right
Oooh, fashion!
We are the goon squad and we’re coming to town
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Listen to me - don’t listen to me
Talk to me - don’t talk to me
Dance with me - don’t dance with me,
no
Beep-beep
There’s a brand new talk,
but it’s not very clear
Oh bop
That people from good homes are talking this year
Oh bop, fashion
It’s loud and tasteless and I’ve heard it before
Oh bop
You shout it while you’re dancing on the ole danceFloor
Oh bop, fashion
Fashion!
turn to the left
Fashion!
rightFashion!
We are the goon squad and we’re coming to town
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Listen to me - don’t listen to me
Talk to me - don’t talk to me
Dance with me - don’t dance with me, no
Beep-beep
Beep-beep
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
La-la la la la la la-la
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
La-la la la la la la-la
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
La-la la la la la la-la
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion
La-la la la la la la-la

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad we'll all be in town at the same time! The only problem is that the wedding I'm going to is an evening wedding.

We'll figure something out, though!

Congrats on the Whole Foods job. Sounds awesome! Even though you have to miss your trip, the payoff will probably be much better in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Whole Foods job! Yay for insurance! Speaking of which, I have some insurance forms to fill out...Must stop surfing the net and go be responsible.