Saturday, April 22, 2006

get out of my closet, punk rock girl.

A punk rock girl stole my old laptop computer right out of my closet and pawned it. I housed this girl, on and off, without rent, for a month because she had nowhere to stay. I housed her primarily to help her raise money and find a job. While she was a friend of a trusted friend, she herself did not seem trustworthy. Nevertheless, I let my desire to help others in need outweigh my general gut feeling about her.

She stole my old, beat up laptop because I would not notice right away. She ignored all of the other high-priced electronics in my house that she had full access to. 2 days ago, I found her and let her know that I would contact the police if I was not properly reimbursed, so I am now getting reimbursed. The pawn shop erased the hard drive off the laptop, which hereby erased all of my great AOL conversations with friends, a lot of my poetry and writings, and my OCD top 100 movies and music lists. And I'm losing some great pictures w/ friends and family as well. So I'm pretty upset, though this is not the first time something's been taken from me. Nevertheless, she's paying me a large sum of cash this weekend, which will not make up for the sentimental value of some of what I lost....but will cover me for a month in rent.

I felt a fury that I've not felt in years. It's strange. The hulk inside of me came out for a little while. That's OK, now that it's settled. Sucks, though.....this will make it harder to trust others in general.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
got to go to work now. More posts coming about the whole foods job fair that involved decorating paper bags to "artistically express myself", jamming with three musical projects, the new orleans mayoral debates, and living with mumpsie, a crazy fun dude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't believe that someone had the audacity to steal from you, especially after you let her stay in your home. That's just so effed up.

Anonymous said...

I spilled wax all over my laptop yesterday, but now that doesn't seem quite so bad because at least it still works. I'm so sorry to hear about all your lost pictures and writings! I would be so sad to loose all those things. We are so dependent on electronically stored data these days...sometimes I think we forget how easily it can just disappear.

Megan, I wanted to thank you for using the word "effed." I have been trying to convince Tom that "eff" is a word and you can say "effed" and "effing," but he has been having none of it. I can now use you as another example of its use. Although, I think he told me that you were not allowed to be a control group to measure the weirdness of my behavior. Hm.